W5 - Teaching

Skip Navigation


Teaching involves establishing and managing an environment where pupils / students can learn effectively.  Although primary teachers may specialise in one curricular area, they are usually responsible for a specific class.  In general, primary teachers study for a BEd (Bachelor of Education) degree, which includes subject and professional educational aspects of their area of interest. 

Secondary teachers usually specialise in an area like science, or in a specific subject like biology, chemistry, geology, physics or technology.  In general, secondary teachers study for subject degree first, then for a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education). 

Lecturers in further education teach in a range of forms towards vocational qualifications, often in liaison with local employers. 

Lecturers in higher education are involved in research, administration and teaching, normally with the emphasis on research.


For further information please see:


Training and Development Agency for Schools

151 Buckingham Palace Road   London   SW1W 9SZ
Tel: 020 7023 8001
Website: www.tda.gov.uk

General information on Northern Ireland based careers can be found on www.careersserviceni.com - Choose explore careers

Courses in education and teaching and associated areas are available at a number of higher education institutions.  Please see the UCAS site www.ucas.ac.uk for more information - Choose students then courses.


Other Useful Websites:

British Councilwww.britishcouncil.org (general website)
Graduate Teacher Training Registrywww.gttr.ac.uk - Choose want to teach?
Local Government Careerswww.lgcareers.com - Key in teaching to career description search
Mathematical Associationwww.m-a.org.uk - Choose teaching mathematics with ICT 
*Open Universitywww.open.ac.uk – Choose study at the OU then education and teacher training
*Queen’s University Belfastwww.qub.ac.uk - Choose schools and departments then school of education 
Royal Statistical Societywww.rss.org.uk - Choose careers then school teacher
St Mary’s University Collegewww.stmarys-belfast.ac.uk (general website)
Stranmillis University Collegewww.stran.ac.uk (general website)
*University of Ulsterwww.ulst.ac.uk - Choose prospective students

* These references are to Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) courses, which are one year professional education courses studied after you have completed a degree in a specific subject area.